Moroccan Lamb Shanks with Couscous
- 4 x lamb shanks
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 x 425g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 5 teaspoons brown sugar or honey (or other sweetener)
- 50 grams chopped dried apricots
- 50 grams chopped dried figs
- 4 cups cooked couscous, cooked according to packet directions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toasted, slivered almonds for garnish
- Using 3 tablespoons of oil and a large frying pan, brown lamb shanks on all sides. Transfer lamb shanks to slow cooker and set aside.
- Combine cumin, paprika, coriander, cinnamon and chilli flakes in a bowl and set aside. In a saucepan, heat remaining oil and fry onion, garlic and ginger until soft. About 2 mins. Add spices and stir fry until spices are fragrant. About 1 minute. Add tomatoes and chicken stock and stir to combine.
- Transfer tomato sauce to slow cooker along with lamb shanks and stir to combine. Turn slow cooker on “low” and cook for 7-8 hours or on “high” for 4-5 hours. Stir every so often. In the last hour or two, add apricots, figs and sugar, and stir. Season with salt and pepper. When cooked, meat should be tender and falling off the bone.
- To prepare couscous, prepare according to packet instructions. Season with salt and pepper. Serve lamb shanks with couscous. Garnish with toasted, slivered almonds.
Recipe from: The Comfy Nook
The following two tabs change content below.
Healthy Magazine is staffed by a team of journalists and health experts who have a goal of presenting you with useful information that you actually want to read.
Latest posts by Healthy Staff (see all)
- Caramelized Apple Strudel (Vegan) - August 1, 2018
- Eight Signs Gluten Intolerance May Be Hampering Your Summer Fitness Goals - July 30, 2018
- Why Hiking is Important for Your Health - June 22, 2018