Written by Laura Collier | Treehouse Athletic Club
This month beginning on Mother’s Day, is National Women’s Health Week. When you think about it, there is A LOT to learn about and take care of in just 7 days. We are pretty complicated creatures! So I am going to write about one thing we can do to be healthier and happier:
Be kind to yourself.
That sounds pretty simple, right? Well stop for a moment and replay the thoughts you have about yourself every day; and by the way, about 85% of those thoughts you have today are the same thoughts you will have tomorrow. About what percent of those are positive vs. negative? Imagine for a moment that you have a roommate and she is constantly chattering to you about everything that is “wrong” with you. How long would you tolerate this before kicking this roommate to the curb? Exactly. Why do we allow ourselves to treat ourselves like this? The most troubling part about it is that we begin to believe our thoughts and manifest them by the choices we make, how we interact with others, and how we care for ourselves. If you say “I’m fat”, chances are your body will actually hold on to the extra weight because the body follows what the mind says. If you say “I get sick easily”, well you’re right, you probably do and will continue to be sickly. Here are some tips to help you turn this vicious cycle on its head:
- Pay attention to your thoughts and ‘re-record’ over the negative ones. Change them to something positive, no matter how insignificant it may seem.
- Stop being a people pleaser.
- Don’t be afraid to say “no”.
- Don’t be afraid to say “yes”.
- Surround yourself with people and situations that create positivity in your life.
- Think of at least one beautiful thing about yourself every day and repeat it all day to yourself.
- When you feel yourself slipping back into negativity, pause, and do something immediately to turn it around.
- Always treat yourself (and others) with dignity, respect, and love.
- Don’t beat yourself up for not being “perfect”. No one is, or ever will be.
Now, once you start doing this, pay attention. You will be amazed at the shift that will take place in your life. You will attract positive people and situations. Your life will start moving forward instead of remaining stagnant. You will have more to look forward to. You will have the energy and desire to help others. You will be a better mother, partner, employee, friend, human being. And the list goes on and on. So try it for yourself and let the magic happen.
Latest posts by Healthy Staff (see all)
- Why Hiking is Important for Your Health - June 22, 2018
- Utah’s Best Freshwater Swimming - June 4, 2018
- 30 Ways to Make This Summer Different Than All the Others - June 1, 2018